Monday, February 16, 2015

Middlebury Magazine essay


Dancing is the magic with which I conjure meaning out of thin air.  When I move I am all at once emptied of the shortcomings and trappings of my human existence and transformed into a vessel of the divine.  I know transcendence, I know strength, I know truth; through dance all these have become my modalities of existence.  Dance has taught me humility, discipline, acceptance, innovation, and perseverance.  My body speaks in spite of language barriers and cultural access; I find dialect through dancing. Every gesture and nuance of time, space, and energy that I conduct correspond to the colloquial nature of the places I inhabit.  Dance is my language, my medicine, my practice and my pedagogy; my proof of life.


With Photography by Brett Simonson

No comments:

Post a Comment